Thursday, January 08, 2009

blue will always do

last night i started to sketch with my blue pencils again. three human figures; all of them men. one carrying a bag; another smoking a cigarette; and the last one sipping a cup of hot tea.

they are my first drawing in a few months.

i prefer blue pencils to ordinary black ones for a story.

one morning nearly five years ago, i walked through this particular street in pasila, helsinki, on my way to work and i spotted a blue pencil on an empty street close to a kindergarten. after a gentle rain in the summer, it was as if the pencil was calling me. "heeey there, i'm cold down here, please would you take me with you?" it said. so i examined it first, and i thought the wetness of the rain made the pencil a bit soft on my touch.

after a while, the warmth from my pocket returned its stiffness. it was hard again and becoming my companion during the next weeks, months and even years. sketches of houses; images of pine forests; lakes; faces; starry nights; desert of sahara; illustration on my letters; and many more were thus made with the help of it.

until in may 2005, on my birthday, i received from my friends a sketch book and three new pencils. all blue, but with different shade of "blueness". oi-oi-oi, my heart was rejoiced, and surprised mainly for knowing that my friends actually noticed how fond i was of my blue pencil. and i thank them for the attention shown by the present. i still wish they are doing all right where-ever they are now. and they should know too, the rembrandt-polycolor they gave still serve me well in my time here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

brother vahd, i have just begun a project with my friend, angela. and i want you to participate. we wanted to send moleskine journals around the world for people to share of themselves and learn more about each other. please go to journalaroundtheworld.blogspot.com and let me know what you think :)

Vahd Mulachela said...

it sounds great to me, ben. i saw the blog, and if i understand it correctly, you intend to send the journal to the address i gave you? well, i'll be looking forward to receiving it then. thanks for counting me in.

Anonymous said...

wiii...so u are drawing too yeap, just like they said ;)
3 human?is it base on ur trip?
what a blue pencil!it's really meant to you..Cool and nice story behind
Intresting :0)
Just loved the part when the pencil calling...hahaha

Anonymous said...

and blue pen would be meaningless compare to the blue pencil.. poor pen..

Vahd Mulachela said...

what is meaningless, tuesday dear. a pen is a pen and a pencil is a pencil. they are not comparison to one another. in fact they are perfectly complementing each other for there are many things that a pen can do much better than pencils. :)